Funnel Cake (Revised from Canada Wonderland recipe)
·150g of Strawberries
· 50g sugar
· 2 Tbs Strawberry Jam
· 30g water
· 1tsp cornstarch with water at the end
· 1 large egg 雞蛋 (room temperature)
· 125ml milk (room temperature)
· 125ml water
· 200g cake flour
· 20g cane sugar or white sugar
· 1.5tsp baking powder
· A pinch of salt
· 1 tsp of vanilla extract
· 1tsp of icing sugar for sprinkling on top
· 2 scoops of ice cream (optional)
· 180ml whipping cream
· 2 tsp of white sugar
For the strawberry sauce:
1. Make the strawberry sauce, whipping cream first and put aside in the refrigerator just before serving. Also, scoop your ice cream in set aside in the freezer. We want to prepare all the toppings in advance so the funnel cake can be served nice and hot.
2.Wash strawberries, soak in salt water for 30 minutes, chop into quarters.
3. Bring water and sugar to boil. Add 2/3 of strawberries.
4. Once the strawberries are cooked, you will know when the colour has turned slightly yellow, then you can add the strawberry jam and the remainder of the strawberries.
5. Cook for 1 minute, then start adding the cornstarch water to thicken the sauce.
6. Cook to desire consistency, the store in the refrigerator.
For the whipping cream:
1. Combine whipping cream and sugar.
2. Beat till firm.
For the funnel cake pastry:
1. Combine dry ingredients including cake flour, sugar and baking powder.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients which are the milk, water, egg and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly.
3. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients little by little (in 3 parts). Mix until no lumps. (use a whisk to mix)
4. Once the batter is ready, pour it into a piping bag, squeeze bottle or ziplock, cut a 1cm hole.
5. Prepare oil for frying in a pot. (mine was 20 cm wide) You can test the oil with chopsticks; dip a little batter using chopstick, put into the oil, if you see a lot of bubbles around the chopsticks, the oil is hot enough and ready for frying.
6. You need to be very careful with this step, once you pour the batter in the oil, a hot steam will form. You may wear gloves to protect yourself, and make sure no children are around for this step. You need to go in circles when you pour the batter, and make sure there are no big voids.
7. Fry until the batter is formed, and is hard enough to flip. The funnel cake is ready when both sides are golden brown. Remove from heat and place on kitchen paper to drain off the excess oil.
8. Place the funnel cake on a plate, sprinkle icing sugar on top, add your strawberry sauce, ice-cream and whipping cream. Your crispy and gooey funnel cake is ready!